- 2 cups sliced fresh cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 1 cup sliced green or red bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 large flour tortillas (see Variation for making these gluten-free)
- 2 cups Pizza Sauce or store-bought vegan pizza or marinara sauce
- ½ cup sliced pitted black olives
- Basic Cashew Cheese Sauce (or store-bought vegan cheese sauce)
- Olive oil spray
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion and cook until the mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until just beginning to wilt. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl. Clean out the frying pan.
- Lay out a tortilla. Spread tomato sauce on half. Top with a quarter of the veggies and a sprinkle of black olives. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons cheese sauce on top and fold over the other side of the tortilla. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with olive oil and add 2 quesadillas. Spray the tops of the quesadillas with olive oil. After 2 to 3 minutes, when the bottom is golden, flip the quesadillas and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, until both sides are crispy and golden. Place them on a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. Slice and serve immediately, with a light drizzle of the cheese sauce over the top and the extra pizza sauce as a dip.
To make these gluten-free, you’ll need some large gluten-free tortillas. Since these tend to break when folded, the method will be a little different. Spread the pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese sauce over the entire tortilla, rather than just half. Top with another tortilla and cook as in step 3, repeating to make 2 total. Slice just as you would a normal pizza.