- 3 cups fine cornmeal (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend, soy-free if necessary)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Whisk all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Divide evenly between the two jars. Tightly secure the lid on each jar. Attach a card with the following instructions to the jar:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180ºC). Lightly coat a 10-inch cake pan or skillet or an 8 × 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine 1¼ cups nondairy milk with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in ⅓ cup sunflower oil or melted coconut oil. If you want a sweeter, moister cornbread, add 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Add the contents of the jar and stir until smooth. If you like, you can stir in 1 cup fresh corn kernels OR 1 cup fresh blueberries OR ¼ cup canned diced green chiles OR 2 tablespoons diced jalapeños.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy! (Serves 8 to 10)