- 2 large zucchini
- Store-bought vegan marinara sauce
- Pepita Parmesan, optional
- ½ cup loosely packed basil chiffonade
- HERBED MACADAMIA RICOTTA ------------------------
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts, soaked in warm water for at least 1 hour and drained, water reserved
- 3 tablespoons reserved soaking water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler or mandoline to slice down the length of the zucchini, making long, thin strips. Lay out the zucchini strips on a couple of paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let drain for about 10 minutes. The salt will help the zucchini release excess water and soften.
- While the zucchini is draining, make the herbed ricotta : Combine the macadamia nuts, 4 teaspoons of the reserved soaking water, the lemon juice, dried basil, oregano, salt, and miso in a food processor and process until smooth, pausing to scrape the sides as needed. If you have a hard time getting the cheese to move, you may need to add more of the soaking water a teaspoon at a time until it moves more smoothly.
- Pat the zucchini dry with a clean kitchen towel. Lay out two slices of zucchini, one overlapping the other by about half. Scoop 1 scant tablespoon ricotta onto one end of the strips. Take the ends of the zucchini closest to the ricotta and carefully roll them over the ricotta. Continue until completely rolled up. Place on a plate seam side down. Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices.
- Heat the marinara sauce. Serve the manicotti topped with sauce, Pepita Parmesan (if using), and basil chiffonade.
Keep any leftover ricotta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.