- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum (exclude if using all-purpose flour or if your gluten-free blend includes it)
- ¾ cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- Vegan cooking spray (soy-free if necessary)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend, soy-free if necessary)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- Combine the dates, walnuts, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum (if using) in a medium bowl. Pour in the boiling water and stir in the butter. Let the mixture rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 × 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Gradually stir in the flour and sugar. It will be lumpy, and that’s okay; just incorporate everything as thoroughly as you can. Add the date mixture and stir until combined. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool for at least 4 hours before slicing.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days.