- 1 cup chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ cup peeled, chopped carrot
- 1 bunch (1 pound) broccoli chopped into florets
- ¼ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour and drained, water reserved
- ¾ cup reserved soaking water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes and carrots in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are easily pierced with a fork.
- While you’re boiling the potatoes and carrots, place the broccoli in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water and cover. Steam the broccoli until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Once tender, remove from the heat but keep warm until ready to serve.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots and transfer them to the blender. Add the cashews, reserved soaking water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Serve the broccoli with a pinch of salt and pepper and a few dollops of cheese sauce.
Store any leftover cheese sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. If your kids don’t like broccoli, try using cauliflower or another vegetable they like instead.