- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced (both white and light green parts)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegan bacon crumbles (optional)
- Chopped green onions (optional)
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add and sauté the leeks for about 4 minutes, or until soft. Add and sauté the garlic for another minute, or until fragrant. Add the potatoes, rosemary, thyme, sage, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Turn off the heat.
Add the lemon juice, liquid smoke, and nutritional yeast (optional). Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Here you can leave a couple potato chunks for a different texture if preferred. An alternative way is to separate into batches and carefully blend in a blender until preferred smoothness.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with vegan bacon crumbles and green onions, if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container- refrigerated soup will keep for 5-6 days.