- Olive oil spray
- 1 russet potato per person (or ½ potato per person if using as a side dish), peeled (see Tip)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Garlic powder, optional
- Vegan sauces (such as ketchup, barbecue sauce, mustard, or ranch dressing; gluten-free, nut-free, and/or soy-free if necessary), for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 450°F . Line baking sheets with aluminum foil—you can fit about 2 potatoes per baking sheet, so do the math. Lightly spray the foil with olive oil.
- Slice each potato into similarly sized strips or wedges. It’s important that they’re equal size so that they cook evenly.
- Spread out the fries on the prepared baking sheets. Spray a light coating of olive oil over the fries. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (if using). Toss to coat and rearrange the slices on the sheet so they’re not touching (as much as possible). This will help them get more crispy.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, flipping them once halfway through to ensure even cooking. Once they’re crispy and lightly browned on the outside but easily pierced with a fork, they’re ready. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with the preferred dipping sauce(s).
You don’t need to peel the potatoes if you’re in a hurry, but we recommend it—it really makes a difference in flavor and texture.