- ½ cup dried onion flakes
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1½ cups green or brown lentils
- 4 bay leaves
- 1½ cups wild rice
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 cups roughly chopped dried shiitake mushrooms (or porcini mushrooms, or a mix)
- Combine the onion flakes, nutritional yeast, thyme, parsley, rosemary, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a cup or small bowl and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour ¾ cup of the lentils into each jar. Divide the spice mixture between the two jars. Place two bay leaves in each jar, pressed up against the side, with the bottom tips secured in the lentils and spices. Holding the leaves in place, pour ¾ cup of the rice into each jar. Once the rice is holding the leaves in place, you can let go of them.
- Pour ½ cup of the split peas into each jar. Top each jar with 1 cup of the dried mushrooms. Tightly secure the lid on each jar. Attach a card with the following instructions to the jar:
- Combine the contents of the jar with 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 25 minutes. Add 2 cups water, bring to a boil again, and reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes more, or until the lentils and split peas are tender. Add another 2 cups broth or water and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. For an extra punch of flavor when serving, add a squeeze of lemon juice or a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy! (Serves 6)
To make the gift even more special, deliver it with a couple of large mugs and soup spoons.