- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or two 15-ounce, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tablespoons liquid aminos (use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- ⅔ cup vegan barbecue sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced nectarines (or sliced peaches or chopped mango)
- ½ cup grated carrot
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Pickled Red Cabbage & Onion Relish
- Heat a large shallow saucepan over medium heat. Add the chick-peas and liquid aminos and cook, stirring a couple of times, until the liquid has been absorbed, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ⅓ cup of the barbecue sauce and toss to coat. Cook until the sauce has thickened and caramelized, and all the liquid has been absorbed. Add the remaining barbecue sauce and cook until the sauce has thickened and caramelized again. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, red cabbage, cherry tomatoes, nectarine slices, and carrots. Divide the salad among four bowls and top with the chickpeas. Top with dressing, a sprinkling of the pepitas, and a scoop of the relish. Serve immediately.
Leftover beans will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.