- 2 medium sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- Olive oil spray
- 2 pinches of smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups roasted buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 2 to 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1½ cups cooked, warm kidney beans (or one 15-ounce) can, rinsed and drained; or use another bean of your choice)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Pickled Red Cabbage & Onion Relish
- Avocado Ranch Dressing or your favorite vegan dressing
- ⅓ cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Spread out the sweet potato cubes on the pan and spray with olive oil. Add the paprika, salt, and pepper and toss to coat. Bake for 30 minutes, or until tender and browned, tossing once halfway through to ensure even cooking. Set aside to cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, cook the buckwheat groats: Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot. Add the buckwheat groats and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until most of the water has been absorbed, 11 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and add salt to taste.
- To serve, fill each bowl with spinach, buckwheat groats, beans, sweet potato, cucumber, avocado, and cabbage relish. Drizzle with dressing and top with toasted pepitas.
You can switch out the buckwheat groats with 3 cups cooked grain of your choice, such as rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, or even farro (though that won’t be gluten-free).