- FOR QUICK APRICOT JAM -----------------
- 12 ounces fresh apricots, halved, pitted, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried sweetened tart cherries
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- FOR SANDWICHES ------------------
- 8 slices (½-inch thick) Cinnamon Swirl Bread (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons non dairy butter
- ¼ cup non dairy cream cheese
- To make the Jam: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the apricots, cherries, 1/4 cup of the orange juice, 1 tablespoon of the agave, and nutmeg. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and allow the apricots to break down some, 4 to 5 minutes. It should be chunky, but not have large pieces of fruit. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice and the cornstarch. Add to the mixture and stir until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste and add the remaining 1 tablespoon agave if needed. The jam thickens as it cools, so make it ahead of time and refrigerate in an airtight container until you’re ready to use it.
- To assemble the sandwiches : Preheat a panini press. Butter one side of each slice of bread. On the unbuttered sides, spread 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of the jam (you will have extra jam leftover; save it for another use). Try to keep the jam away from the edges of the bread so it will not seep out. Put the top slice of bread on so that both the buttered sides are facing out. Close the panini press and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.